Do you believe the Angels exist? In Islam, if you do not believe in the existence of Angels, it is an offence that could weaken your faith in Allah.
What are the unique features of the Angels?
First of all, they are not visible to our plain eyes. Being invisible to us, they are free to roam on earth without detection. No instruments – however sophisticated that we have nowadays – are able to detect their movements.
Yet, the Quraan says they are around us and they are listening, recording information and assisting humans in many ways.
This was what we (almost every single Muslims that I know about) were told about the Angels. We were also told they had names, they also had specific roles, and acted on the orders of Allah.
The word “angels” (malaika) is mentioned at 88 times in the Qur’an.
At least 10 Angels are mentioned by name in the Bible.
There are seven Angel name in the Quran. They are:
1. Jibril (Gabriel) (upon whom be peace)
2. Mikaa’eel (Micheal) (upon whom be peace)
3. Israafeel (Raphael) (upon whom be peace) or the Angel of the trumpet (Some source says this Angel is not mentioned by name in the Quran, some it is, I leave it to the reader to do their own research.
4. Azraeel (upon whom be peace) – Angel of Death
5. Kiram al Katibin – Some source says the two kiraman katibin are two angels called Raqib and Atid (they write the sins, and good deeds)
6. Hafaza (The Guardian Angels)
7. Hamalat al-‘Arsh or the Angels carrying the throne (Arsh)
It is an elaborate subject indeed. And an elaborate plan to get humans to believe in the Almighty God, and get a little idea of His powers. Right?
For the sceptics, I would ask, why would Allah create so many different Angels with different names and different functions, for mankind to forget about them?
I do believe there are Angels out there, because for far too many times I was made to be in such situations that would have gotten me into deep, deeper trouble but I escaped all these tribulations before they touched me.
You see, Islam works this way, and it is a very simple way: You pray to God, the Angels are listening and they relay the message among themselves until one of them will transmit it to God. Indeed, God already knew you are praying to God. But since God cannot be seen by us, and does not have to be present to resolve our issues, it is the Angels who takes care of the routine.
To be continued!